The frenzy over kale is more powerful than a sharknado and we aren’t even mad about it. Everybody loves to talk about kale. Raise your hand if you haven’t posted a picture on Instagram of your kale salad with the hashtag #nomnom or discussed the health benefits of adding kale to your green smoothie at a party. No hands up? I thought so.
I know you’ve already Googled the health benefits of kale like 15 times in the last week, but I can’t help providing a couple of my favorite reasons this #blessed leafy green is a refrigerator staple:
- It’s the Fountain of Youth! Kale contains Aempferol which ramps us the genes that promote longer life. #yolo
- It makes you happy! Clap along with carotenoids, which have been linked to one’s overall sense of good nature and optimism (insert room without a roof).
- Hangover helper! Sulfurophane (a molecule) increases your body’s natural detox power. Cheers!
For all you tweeps there is a National Kale Day PARTY going down at 12pm CST/1pm EST. Simply search for hashtag #KaleDay2014 on twitter and join in the conversation and giveaways.
Check out some of our favorite Kale recipes below and get cookin!
- Kale Salad – We like ours with goat cheese, pine nuts and dried cranberries. Don’t forget to give your kale leaves a nice massage before eating – trust us!
- Kale Chips – I couldn’t find the exact recipe I follow online, so here is my recipe:
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread out kale leaves (the chopped pre-packaged stuff is the best for kale chips) in a single layer on baking sheet. Spray kale leaves lightly with cooking spray and add toppings! We like garlic salt, onion powder, cumin, a dash of red pepper, and finely grated Parmesan cheese, but you can really add anything you have in the spice cabinet that strikes your fancy. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes (or until leaves are nice and crunchy, but not brown!). Keep a close eye on it while it’s baking in there, you don’t want to end up with a bunch of burned kale!
- Super-healthy Kale Quinoa Patties from CherylStyle.com
- Quinoa combined with fresh kale, yellow onion, chives and Parmesan cheese is sure to rock your taste buds!